Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cuamba & Muapula

I really enjoyed my trip to Cuamba and Muapula. Cuamba is south of Lichinga, it took about 6 hours to get there. In Cuamba I went with one of the missionaries to the school where she teaches a Bible story every Saturday morning. The kids were so sweet and she told the story of Moses. Then they sang songs and played a game. Later we went to another place and told the same story to the kids there. Again they are all so adorable.

Sunday we went on to a small village called Muapula. It is about 3 hours north of Cuamba and about 3 hours south east of Lichinga. The drives were beautiful and I really enjoyed the whole trip a lot. Muapula was especially beautiful. I was amazed at how dark it was at night. You turn out the lights and cannot even see your hand in front of your face, and it's dead silent too. The first night was rough. I could hear every little noise and could not see a thing, which scared me a lot. But the second night I slept really well and the darkness didn't seem so bad. I knew that I was very safe in the house and decided that I needed to enjoy the dark silence anyway. And I got to see stars too, which was amazing :)

In Muapula we had to heat water in what the South Africans call a donkey. It a big water tank set in a brick base with a spot underneath the water tank for a fire.  You light the fire under the tank and it heats the water. I was appreciative of a hot shower for sure.

The kids we taught the Bible story to in the morning

The kids we taught the Bible story to in the afternoon

I'll let everyone figure out what I'm eating

View near Cuamba

Wood stove

The donkey we heated our water in for a hot shower

View from the top of the rock

View from the rock

Baboon

Mozambique highway

I loved the quiet, peacefulness of Muapula.

Thursday I leave to go to a village called Itipela until Sunday or Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment